Tuesday, August 16, 2011

14 Days in the Land of Enchantment - Day 5

Day 5 – Breakfast Burrito

Any one with any amount of fashion sense knows instinctively that black is correct for any occasion. From office to evening to a funeral to a wedding, you just can’t go wrong. Well it’s like that with burritos here in New Mexico. It’s good for any meal. And today it’s the breakfast burrito.

The day started out with the best of intentions. I wanted to pre-fund my caloric intake with an early morning bike ride. However, the gods of tire pressure were conspiring against me. No amount of coaxing could make the back tire inflate. I even offered to buy it dinner first but it still would not rise.

When did biking get so complicated? I remember hopping on my Schwinn Sting-Ray at a moments notice. No helmet, no reflective gear, no padded seat (or pants). Just me on the open road of suburbia standing on the seat, no hands on the handlebars. The wind in my hair (yes, I had some once) and Sinatra’s Strangers in the Night playing on my transistor radio.

A short walk stood in as my substitute today. Hardly the same thing but it’s easier on the joints, or so I’m told.

So we arrived at the Frontier Restaurant, one of the city’s many staple diners. And of course the breakfast burrito was proudly displayed on the menu overhead, along with the lite-lunch burrito and the late-nite burrito. See what I mean, always correct.

Breakfast burritos come in a number of varieties. Some are smothered in queso others with red or green chile sauce. Others include beans (black or pinto). For the meat lover, it can come with bacon, ham, or more authentically chorizo sausage.

The burrito I ordered was one of the more purist varieties. Along with the scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese, it included green chiles. These are not the chiles that you find in Midwest restaurants as part of their Santa Fe special. These are just spicy enough to provide a kick but still provide that roasted flavor.

Wrapped in a freshly made, flour tortilla, the dish was complete. Served with a side of beans, you get to enjoy the culinary experience well into the afternoon.

Then for dessert (also appropriate at any meal), was a sopapilla. It’s fried bread puffed with air in the middle. You tear it apart and pour fresh honey in the center to sweeten the treat.

Top it off with a steaming cup of coffee and the experience is complete, as is my burrito meter for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment